Although I’m not ready for fall, these yummy muffins remind me of autumn days.
The original recipe for these muffins is one that my mom makes but neither of us knows where it is originally from. I’ve made some pretty significant changes to it to make them a bit more healthy and a bit more appealing to Hubby. They have 4 cups of fruits and vegetables, egg whites only and some whole wheat flour! Don’t be fooled though, they are still muffins with oil and sugar.
Hubby’s not home from work yet, so we’ll see if he can tell I made these muffins a bit healthier. I don’t think he’ll have a clue because they are delicious!
Do you have any recipes that you’ve changed to make them healthier for you and your family?
I’d love for you to share them with me!
Here’s my recipe:
2 cups shredded carrot
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup chopped peeled apple (one large apple)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
finely grated orange peel from one large orange
10 tbsp egg whites (from the carton)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix carrot, zucchini, apple, almonds, orange peel, egg whites, vegetable oil, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Into a separate bowl, sift flour and baking soda.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and salt to dry ingredients and mix.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix and fold batter slowly until moist and no dry patches appear.
- Use an ice cream scoop to measure equal amounts of muffin batter and pour into lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until muffin tops are golden brown and spring back when pressed gently.
Makes 18 large muffins.